Thursday 27 October 2011

Boo!

Fridge installation view

Elephant Shopping
Pencil drawing by Emma Maki

Kissed Off
mixed media collage by Lori Gilbert
(india ink, pencil, lipstick, acrylic paint on paper)

Kissed Off
detail

Just in time for Halloween, La Galerie Kenmore presents drawing-based works that combine the treat with the trick. "Kissed Off" was originally an artist's bookwork, which I later took apart and culled down to the best pages. It features lipstick kisses on translucent paper, concealing hostile mouths in black ink on white paper. I remember applying lipstick and creating 32 different imprints, then drawing a small mouth image in ink to complement the shape of each lip-print. Then I produced ANOTHER 32 lip prints on pastel-coloured lined notebook paper. Then I wrote little personal, diary-like statements in and around the lip prints on lined paper. I bound the bookwork so that the prints on coloured paper were facing or "kissing" the prints on translucent paper. Each print on translucent paper was laid over an ink drawing of a nasty mouth, so that you could lift the "kiss" and see the teeth or sneer or venomous tongue underneath. It was all about passive-aggressive hostility of course, but I really dug the whole process, you know?

My daughter's drawing of an elephant shopping for clothes needs little explanation. I'm sure we've all felt a similar frustration when stampeding into a dimly lit fitting room with a dozen hangers full of garments clutched in our trunks.

2 comments:

  1. You are so dang creative! How do you come up with these ideas. And I totally relate to your daughters picture - especially after all the Halloween candy I've eaten in the last several days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lori! If you choose to accept it, I wanted to let you know that I am passing the Versatile Blogger award to you. I think La Galerie Kenmore is fabulous, and wanted to share the love a little! Come over to Motivation for Creation to see how to claim it, if you want!

    ReplyDelete